James H. Freeman, Esq. is a New York-based attorney with over 15 years of commercial litigation experience.
Solo Practice (2011-present)
• JHF's solo practice, launched in 2011, focuses on resolving complex disputes in the entertainment business, including music, digital media, film, television, theater, internet and the arts.
• Attorney Freeman fiercely protects the legal interests of independent artists and minorities vis-a-vis largescale corporations and media conglomerates who unlawfully exploit their creative output or personages.
• Over the last four years, JH Freeman Law has filed culturally relevant lawsuits in U.S. federal court on behalf of independent artists, filmmakers and musicians:
- vs. the producers of reality TV show American Idol for racial discrimination concerning their disqualification procedures;
- vs. the movie studio behind The Twilight Saga blockbuster series for antitrust violations concerning an independent parody film;
• Attorney Freeman has also successfully defended R&B star "Ne-Yo" and legendary rapper "Gucci Mane" in multiple state law actions.
Prior Background (2000-2010)
• James began his career as an associate in the litigation department of Proskauer Rose LLP (2000-2005), where he worked on entertainment-related matters for clients such as the Record Industry Association of America (RIAA), Lauryn Hill and Madonna.
• He later joined the firm of Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP (2005-2008) where he engaged in multi-national commercial litigation.
• In 2008, James became a senior associate at the boutique Wall Street firm of Garvey Schubert Barer. Working under veteran entertainment lawyer Kevon Davis, James served as lead litigation counsel representing a variety of entertainment-related clients, including major recording artists and top-ranking athletes.
• As a young associate, James also performed significant pro bono work, including obtaining a settlement for the widow of a New York City firefighter who lost his life on 9/11; and obtaining the greencard for a Trinidadian woman who was battered by her husband.
• James graduated from Northwestern University (1994) with a Bachelor of Science in Media Communications.
• Attorney Freeman received his J.D. law degree from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (2000) where he served on the Arts and Entertainent Law Journal and Latin American Law Students Association.
• In 1999, James became the first American exchange student in over 40 years to study law at the University of Havana Law School in Cuba. He speaks fluent Spanish.
JH Freeman Law
671 Ninth Ave., #3N
New York, NY 10036
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit
- Sixth Circuit
- Ninth CIrcuit
U.S. District Court
-Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of International Trade
New York State Courts
PRior Law Firms
Proskauer Rose LLP
Kramer Levin Naftalis
Garvey Schubert Barer
Northwestern University (B.S. 1994)
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D. 2000)
University of Havana Law School, CUBA (1999 Semester)