James H. Freeman, Esq. is a New York-based attorney with over 19 years of commercial litigation experience.
Liebowitz Law Firm, PLLC (2017-present)
• As Senior Counsel at Liebowitz Law Firm, James has prosecuted hundreds of lawsuits in federal court against largescale corporations and mid-size publishers who use photographs and videos without authorization.
• James has obtained major victories on summary judgment against Hearst Communications, Inc. and Bonnier Corporation, and has helped set important precedents in the cutting-edge issues of fair use and DMCA.
Solo Practice (2011-2017)
• JHF's solo practice, launched in 2011, focused on resolving complex disputes in the entertainment business, including music, digital media, film, television, theater, internet and the arts.
• James fiercely protects the legal interests of artists and small businesses vis-a-vis those who unlawfully exploit their creative output or personages.
• JH Freeman Law served as lead counsel in U.S. federal court on behalf of artists, filmmakers and musicians:
- vs. the producers of reality TV show American Idol in connection with disqualification procedures;
- vs. the movie studio behind The Twilight Saga blockbuster series for antitrust violations concerning an independent parody film;
• James also successfully defended R&B star "Ne-Yo" and legendary rapper "Gucci Mane" in multiple state law actions.
Prior Background (2000-2010)
• James began his career as an associate in the litigation department of Proskauer Rose LLP (2000-2005), where he worked on entertainment-related matters for clients such as the Record Industry Association of America (RIAA), Lauryn Hill and Madonna.
• He later joined the firm of Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP (2005-2008) where he engaged in multi-national commercial litigation.
• In 2008, James became a senior associate at the boutique Wall Street firm of Garvey Schubert Barer. Working under veteran entertainment lawyer Kevon Davis, James served as lead litigation counsel representing a variety of entertainment-related clients, including major recording artists and top-ranking athletes.
• As a young associate, James also performed significant pro bono work, including obtaining a settlement for the widow of a New York City firefighter who lost his life on 9/11; and obtaining the greencard for a Trinidadian woman who was battered by her husband.
• James graduated from Northwestern University (1994) with a Bachelor of Science in Media Communications.
• James received his J.D. law degree from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (2000) where he served on the Arts and Entertainent Law Journal and Latin American Law Students Association.
• In 1999, James became the first American exchange student in over 40 years to study law at the University of Havana Law School in Cuba. He speaks fluent Spanish.
Liebowitz Law Firm
11 Sunrise Plaza, Ste. 305
Valley Stream, NY 11580
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit
- Sixth Circuit
- Ninth CIrcuit
U.S. District Court
-Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of International Trade
New York State Courts
PRior Law Firms
Proskauer Rose LLP
Kramer Levin Naftalis
Garvey Schubert Barer
Northwestern University (B.S. 1994)
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (J.D. 2000)
University of Havana Law School, CUBA (1999 Semester)